This week’s holiday gift idea is books at Genealogical.com.
Genealogical.com isn’t just a bookstore, they are a small genealogy-focused publishing company. Translated, this means that without them, none of the books you find here would be available. Or, minimally, it would be much, much more difficult for genealogical authors to find a publisher meaning most of those books would never come to fruition. When purchasing books, please consider supporting this business that supports the industry we love.
Who doesn’t like to curl up by the fireplace this time of year with a hot drink and a book? My idea of a good book is something genealogy or history related. Maybe I should warn you – I’m a book junkie – attracted to bookshops (and maps shops and quilt shops) like a moth to a flame!
For the holidays, you can order books for others and for yourself too. Kind of like packing cookies – one for them, one for you😊
When we are researching our ancestors, often we overlook books that could really be useful.
Let’s take a look at Genealogical.com.
They have all kinds of books available three ways:
- Traditional printed books in their online store (2364 to be exact)
- Ebooks (772)
- An online subscription model that includes access to 740 ePub books for either $49.95 for 3 months or $99.95 for a year
Search and Filter
Personally, I seldom get past the first page without a bright shiny object catching my attention.
However, tear yourself away and look at the search section, at the right of the main page.
Filtering by region is generally state and country.
Subject filters are where I can easily disappear. There are so many options. Let’s say, for example, that I want to search for Native American topics.
There are 155 books about Native Americans. But wait, there are also 6 about Palatines and 16 about Pennsylvania Germans, both of which also pertain to my genealogy.
I think I need to make a list and convince Santa I’ve been good – or maybe just order them myself!
You can also filter by time period.
Ok, I’m curious – what kinds of books are in the Middle Ages category?
Those look quite interesting. Do you know if your ancestor was one of the Magna Carta Barons? Or descended from Charlemagne?
Have a favorite author? Type in a surname and see if they have published something at Genealogical.com? Let’s try Elizabeth Shown Mills, someone just about every genealogist knows – and if you don’t, no time better than the present.
Good Gravy! Elizabeth has 16 items available. I had no idea.
Her legendary foundation book, “Evidence Explained” is here, of course, but also several more including this gem about her FAN Principle – Friends and Neighbors.
I can’t even begin to tell you how many times I’ve used the FAN Principle successfully. In a nutshell, you track your ancestors by accumulating evidence about their associates – friends and neighbors (FAN). You can order this Biographer’s Guide for yourself and let Elizabeth explain exactly how this works.
Last, on the Blog tab, you can enjoy lots of really useful free articles.
Check Genealogical.com out now. What are you going to order, and how do you hope it will benefit your research?
I receive a small contribution when you click on some of the links to vendors in my articles. This does NOT increase the price you pay but helps me to keep the lights on and this informational blog free for everyone. Please click on the links in the articles or to the vendors below if you are purchasing products or DNA testing.
Thank you so much.
DNA Purchases and Free Transfers
- FamilyTreeDNA – Y, mitochondrial and autosomal DNA testing
- MyHeritage DNA – ancestry autosomal DNA only, not health
- MyHeritage FREE DNA file upload – transfer your results from other vendors free
- AncestryDNA – autosomal DNA only
- 23andMe Ancestry – autosomal DNA only, no Health
- 23andMe Ancestry Plus Health
Genealogy Products and Services
- MyHeritage FREE Tree Builder – genealogy software for your computer
- MyHeritage Subscription with Free Trial
- Legacy Family Tree Webinars – genealogy and DNA classes, subscription-based, some free
- Legacy Family Tree Software – genealogy software for your computer
- Legacy Tree Genealogists – professional genealogy research
- Genealogical.com – lots of wonderful genealogy research books