Some of my most popular articles are the instructions for how to download your DNA files from the various vendors in order to upload and transfer your DNA files to other vendors to obtain more matches.
Now, I’ve put the instructions for all the vendors together in one place. Feel free to share with your friends, family and groups by posting the link to this article.
People test at multiple vendors or transfer their files in order to:
- Take advantage of unique features at each vendor
- Match against people in each database that haven’t tested elsewhere
- Benefit from the lower cost of transfers as compared to testing at each vendor
Transfers themselves along with matching is free, but more advanced features require either a full subscription (MyHeritage,) a monthly subscription (GedMatch) or a one-time unlock fee (Family Tree DNA or MyHeritage without a subscription.)
Vendors who welcome uploads and have a full suite of products are:
GedMatch is not a testing vendor. Customers only transfer files from other vendors TO GedMatch to use their tools, not from GedMatch.
Vendors who don’t allow uploads, meaning you must test there, are:
Download and Upload Instructions
Transferring your DNA consists of downloading your raw DNA data file from one vendor and uploading the file to another vendor’s system.
This process does NOT delete your DNA file or results from the original system. That’s an entirely different process, not related to a file download.
Here’s how to transfer – with individual steps for downloading from and uploading to each vendor:
- Ancestry Step by Step Guide: How to Upload-Download DNA Files
- 23andMe Step by Step Guide: How to Upload-Download DNA Files
- MyHeritage Step by Step Guide: How to Upload-Download DNA Files
- Family Tree DNA Step by Step Guide: How to Upload-Download DNA Files
How many new matches will you receive by transferring to each vendor?
I receive a small contribution when you click on some of the links to vendors in my articles. This does NOT increase the price you pay but helps me to keep the lights on and this informational blog free for everyone. Please click on the links in the articles or to the vendors below if you are purchasing products or DNA testing.
Thank you so much.
DNA Purchases and Free Transfers
- MyHeritage DNA only
- MyHeritage DNA plus Health
- MyHeritage FREE DNA file upload
- 23andMe Ancestry
- 23andMe Ancestry Plus Health
- Legacy Tree Genealogists for genealogy research