In this Upload-Download Series, we’ll cover each major vendor:
- How to download raw data files from the vendor
- How to upload raw data files to the vendor, if possible
- Other mainstream vendors where you can upload this vendor’s files
You can both upload autosomal DNA raw data files from another vendor to MyHeritage, and download your DNA file from MyHeritage. Please note that downloading a copy of your raw data file from any vendor does not interfere with your matches at that vendor.
Uploading TO MyHeritage
Upload Step 1
To upload your DNA to MyHeritage, click here and then click on the purple “Start” button.
Upload Step 1 If You Already Have an Account at MyHeritage
If you already have an account, click here to sign in and then click on the DNA tab to display the “Upload DNA Data” option which displays the graphic above. Click on the purple “Start” button. This is the same process you’ll use whether it’s the first time you’ve uploaded a kit, or you’re uploading subsequent kits to your account that you’ll be managing.
At this point, you’ll see the “Upload DNA data” screen – sp click on the purple “Start” button. .
Upload Step 2
If you’re not a member, you’ll be prompted to create a free account by entering your name, e-mail, and password, and from there you can upload your autosomal DNA file.
You’ll be asked whose DNA you’re uploading and prompted to read and agree to the terms of service and consent.
Click the purple upload button.
Then click done when the file is finished uploading.
You’ll be notified by e-mail within a couple days when the file is finished processing.
Downloading FROM MyHeritage
Download Step 1
Sign on to your MyHeritage account.
Click on DNA on the upper toolbar.
The dropdown menu includes “Manage DNA Kits”
Download Step 2
At the right of the kit you wish to download, click on the three small dots which will include an option for “Download kit.”
Download Step 3
You’ll be presented with a box titled “Learn more about DNA data files.”
Click the purple “Continue” button.
Download Step 4
You’ll need to confirm that you want to download your data, and that you understand that the download is outside of MyHeritage and their protection.
Click the purple “Continue” button. You’ll see a notice that an email has been sent.
Download Step 5
You’ll receive a confirmation e-mail. Click on “Click here to continue with download.”
This e-mail link is only valid for 24 hours.
Download Step 6
Enter your password again, and click on the purple “Download” button.
Download Step 7
Save the file as a recognizable file name on your computer.
MyHeritage DNA File Uploads TO Other Vendors
You can upload your MyHeritage file to other vendors, as follows.
|From below to >>>>>>>>>>>||Family Tree DNA Accepts||Ancestry Accepts||23andMe Accepts||GedMatch Accepts|
*To upload to Family Tree DNA, you must have tested at MyHeritage after May 7, 2019.
Neither Ancestry nor 23andMe accepts uploads from any vendor.
MyHeritage DNA File Uploads FROM Other Vendors
You can upload files from other vendors to MyHeritage, as follows:
|From Family Tree DNA||From Ancestry||From 23andMe||From LivingDNA|
Testing and Upload Strategy
Uploading to MyHeritage is always free. You can view your ethnicity, your matches and their trees, and utilize the DNA tools, but you won’t receive the full benefit of SmartMatching, Triangulation, Theories of Family Relativity and other records without a subscription. You will be limited to building a tree of 250 people for free, but you can upload a Gedcom file of any size, although you do need to subscribe to change anything in that file if it contains more than 250 individuals.
My testing/upload recommendations are as follows relative to MyHeritage:
- If you tested at 23andMe and have the V3, V4 or V5 test, upload to both Family Tree DNA and MyHeritage.
I wrote a step-by-step guide about how to download your DNA raw DNA file from 23andMe, here.
- If you tested at MyHeritage, upload your results to Family Tree DNA.
- If you tested at Family Tree DNA, upload your results to MyHeritage.
Please note that this article was updated in August 2021.
I receive a small contribution when you click on some of the links to vendors in my articles. This does NOT increase the price you pay but helps me to keep the lights on and this informational blog free for everyone. Please click on the links in the articles or to the vendors below if you are purchasing products or DNA testing.
Thank you so much.
DNA Purchases and Free Uploads
- FamilyTreeDNA – Y, mitochondrial and autosomal DNA testing
- MyHeritage DNA – Autosomal DNA test
- MyHeritage FREE DNA file upload – Upload your results from other vendors free
- AncestryDNA – Autosomal DNA test
- 23andMe Ancestry – Autosomal DNA only, no Health
- 23andMe Ancestry Plus Health
Genealogy Products and Services
- MyHeritage FREE Tree Builder – Genealogy software for your computer
- MyHeritage Subscription with Free Trial
- Legacy Family Tree Webinars – Genealogy and DNA classes, subscription-based, some free
- Legacy Family Tree Software – Genealogy software for your computer
- Charting Companion – Charts and Reports to use with your genealogy software or FamilySearch
- RootsMagic Software – Genealogy software for your computer
- Newspapers.com – Search newspapers for your ancestors
- Genealogical.com – Lots of wonderful genealogy research books
- Legacy Tree Genealogists – Professional genealogy research