In this Upload-Download Series, we’ll cover each major vendor:
- How to download raw data files from the vendor
- How to upload raw data files to the vendor, if possible
- Other mainstream vendors where you can upload this vendor’s files
Uploading TO MyHeritage
Upload Step 1
To upload your DNA to MyHeritage, click here and then click on the purple “Start” button.
Upload Step 1 If You Already Have an Account at MyHeritage
If you already have an account, click here to sign in and then click on the DNA tab to display the “Upload DNA Data” option which displays the graphic above. Click on the purple “Start” button. This is the same process you’ll use whether it’s the first time you’ve uploaded a kit, or you’re uploading subsequent kits to your account that you’ll be managing.
You’ll be prompted to create a free account by entering your name, e-mail and password, and from there you can upload your autosomal DNA file.
You’ll be asked whose DNA you’re uploading and prompted to read and agree to the terms of service and consent.
Click the purple upload button.
Then click done when the file is finished uploading.
You’ll be notified by e-mail within a couple days when the file is finished processing.
Downloading FROM MyHeritage
Download Step 1
Sign on to your MyHeritage account.
Click on DNA on the upper toolbar.
The dropdown menu includes “Manage DNA Kits”
Download Step 2
At the right of the kit you wish to download, click on the three small buttons which will include an option for “Download,” as shown in the graphics below from the MyHeritage blog article.
Download Step 3
You’ll be presented with a box titled “Learn more about DNA data files.” Click the purple “Continue” button.
Download Step 4
You’ll need to confirm that you want to download your data, and that you understand that the download is outside of MyHeritage and their protection. Click the purple “Continue” button.
Download Step 5
You’ll receive a confirmation e-mail. Click on “Click here to continue with download.”
This e-mail link is only valid for 24 hours.
Download Step 6
Enter your password again, and click on the purple “Download” button.
Download Step 7
Save the file as a recognizable file name on your computer.
MyHeritage File Transfers TO Other Vendors
You can upload your MyHeritage file to other vendors, as follows.
|From below to >>>>>>>>>>>||Family Tree DNA Accepts||Ancestry Accepts||23andMe Accepts||GedMatch Accepts|
*To transfer to Family Tree DNA, you must have tested at MyHeritage after May 7, 2019 and transfer your file within 2 years of receiving your results.
Neither Ancestry nor 23andMe accepts uploads from any vendor.
MyHeritage File Transfers FROM Other Vendors
You can upload files from other vendors to MyHeritage, as follows:
|From Family Tree DNA||From Ancestry||From 23andMe||From LivingDNA|
Testing and Transfer Strategy
Transferring to MyHeritage is always free. You can view your ethnicity, your matches and their trees, and utilize the DNA tools, but you won’t receive the full benefit of SmartMatching and other records without a subscription. You will be limited to building a tree of 250 people for free, but you can upload a Gedcom file of any size, although you do need to subscribe to change anything in that file if it contains more than 250 individuals.
Until December 1, 2018, all DNA tools will be and remain free for anyone who uploads before that date. After December 1st, matching will remain free, but the advanced tools such as ethnicity, the chromosome browser, triangulation and more will require payment. MyHeritage has not yet indicated how that will work, so upload now to receive free DNA tools forever.
My testing/transfer recommendations are as follows relative to MyHeritage:
- If you tested at Ancestry or Family Tree DNA, click here to transfer your results to MyHeritage. To read more about transferring Ancestry results to Family Tree DNA and for step-by-step instructions for downloading your Ancestry raw data file, click here.
- If you tested at 23andMe and have the V3 or V4 test (before November 2017), transfer to both Family Tree DNA and MyHeritage. If you have the 23andMe V5 test (since November 2017), you can transfer to MyHeritage but not to Family Tree DNA.
- If you tested at MyHeritage, transfer your results to Family Tree DNA.
- If you tested at Family Tree DNA, transfer your results to MyHeritage. Click here for step-by-step instructions for how to upload or download your Family Tree DNA file.
- If you tested at LivingDNA, you can transfer to MyHeritage.
I receive a small contribution when you click on some of the links to vendors in my articles. This does NOT increase the price you pay but helps me to keep the lights on and this informational blog free for everyone. Please click on the links in the articles or to the vendors below if you are purchasing products or DNA testing.
Thank you so much.
DNA Purchases and Free Transfers
- Family Tree DNA
- MyHeritage DNA only
- MyHeritage DNA plus Health
- MyHeritage FREE DNA file upload
- 23andMe Ancestry
- 23andMe Ancestry Plus Health
- Legacy Tree Genealogists for genealogy research