FamilyTreeDNA’s long-anticipated chromosome painting for ethnicity results just arrived!
Videos and a White Paper!
Along with the release, Family TreeDNA has also provided several resources.
Dr. Paul Maier, Population Geneticist at FamilyTreeDNA created a three-part video series that explains MyOrigins V3 and the science behind the results – in normal language that air-breathing humans can understand. These are absolutely wonderful and only about 10 minutes each, so be sure to watch – in order!
- Video 1 – Overview of myOrigins v3
- Video 2 – Methodology of selecting reference populations to estimate your ancestry
- Video 3 – The why behind unexpected results
MyOrigins 3.0 white paper that explains the science in more detail is here! If nothing else, at least skim and look at the pictures. It’s actually an amazing document.
Your Painted Results
To view your results, sign on to your account and click on Chromosome Painting!
There it is – your beautiful new painted chromosomes with your Continental or Super Population results painted on your chromosomes!
Look, there are my AmerIndian segments, in pink.
What Can I Do?
You can download your segment file too – in the upper right-hand corner.
You can also download your segment match file found under the chromosome browser tab and sort your segments to see who matches you on these segments. I provided instructions, here.
Of course, you’ll see both sides, meaning paternal and maternal matches, so it will be necessary to determine on which “side” your segments of interest originate, and who matches you on that side of your tree.
We will discuss these strategies and how to implement them in future articles.
A little birdie tells me that DNAPainter will have an import soon so you can upload your chromosome painting file to integrate with your match painting.
Right now, just viewing and appreciating your chromosome art that represents our ancestors is amazing. Did you find any surprises? Who else wants to print and frame this?
If you don’t have results at FamilyTreeDNA, you can upload DNA results from the other three major testing companies and pay a $19 unlock to receive your very own chromosome painting. Upload/Download instructions are found here.
I receive a small contribution when you click on some of the links to vendors in my articles. This does NOT increase the price you pay but helps me to keep the lights on and this informational blog free for everyone. Please click on the links in the articles or to the vendors below if you are purchasing products or DNA testing.
Thank you so much.
DNA Purchases and Free Transfers
- FamilyTreeDNA– Y, mitochondrial and autosomal DNA testing
- MyHeritage DNA–Autosomal DNA test
- MyHeritage FREE DNA file upload– Transfer your results from other vendors free
- AncestryDNA– Autosomal DNA test
- 23andMe Ancestry– Autosomal DNA only, no Health
- 23andMe Ancestry Plus Health
Genealogy Products and Services
- MyHeritage FREE Tree Builder– Genealogy software for your computer
- MyHeritage Subscription with Free Trial
- Legacy Family Tree Webinars– Genealogy and DNA classes, subscription-based, some free
- Legacy Family Tree Software– Genealogy software for your computer
- Charting Companion– Charts and Reports to use with your genealogy software or FamilySearch
- RootsMagic Software– Genealogy software for your computer
- Genealogical.com– Lots of wonderful genealogy research books
- Legacy Tree Genealogists– Professional genealogy research