I am so overwhelmed today. Mostly in a good way. I’m writing this so that hopefully, you won’t be.
If you’re riding along with me for the RootsTech journey this year, you’ll recall that my daily RootsTech conference posts are less than polished. Quick and dirty is the only way I can get them out the door. So I just apologize in advance. Things move very quickly during RootsTech week, and polished articles take a long time to refine.
If you haven’t already subscribed to my blog, you can do so by going to www.dna-explained.com and signing up. It’s free.
I wrote about the RootsTech presentations, here. We have a lot more information now.
RootsTech opens this afternoon, depending on where you are in the world. Here are the times. Remember, it’s already tomorrow down under.
There are a HUGE number of registrants. This graphic was from a few days ago.
Drum roll please…
Today’s numbers, this morning, topped half a million registrants. That’s the size of a major city.
RootsTech is by far the largest genealogy and largest DNA event that the world has ever seen. You can still sign up, here. It’s totally free.
This is important – there are FOUR places at RootsTech to view different educational sessions.
- The presenters, who would normally be presenting in conference rooms.
- The DNA Learning Center, sponsored by FamilySearch, normally found in the Expo Hall.
- The Demo Theater, which are sessions recorded by the vendors that would normally be presented in the Demo Theater on the show floor.
- The vendors’ virtual booths.
I’m going to run through how to find all of these and how to navigate the website.
The list of regular sessions is here. PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE IS NO TIME SCHEDULE. The reason there aren’t times is because the sessions are all pre-recorded and you will be able to watch at your convenience. You’ll be able to build a custom playlist for yourself too.
This is the main RootsTech site, here. Notice the navigation bar across the top. You’ll be able to view these links AFTER the website opens.
This primer will help you navigate and find what you need.
Guide Me – DNA Basics Learning Center
If you click on “Guide Me” – you’ll see categories of interests. Under DNA, you’ll see the DNA Basics Learning Center.
There are lots of resources in the DNA Learning Center, including the Live Class Session Schedule, here. Please note that these are DIFFERENT sessions than the regular presentation sessions and are NOT listed on that schedule.
If you click on “Live Sessions” and then on more, you’ll see my session.
Several experts have volunteered to answer questions for the DNA Basics Learning Center across the multiple days of the conference – so you might find me there. There is pretty much always someone available. We are just now receiving training on how this works, so we’ll all be on an adventure together the first couple of hours😊
If you click the Connect button at the bottom of any session or vendor booth or any page, it opens a chat box where you can ask questions.
For fun, click on “Show My Relatives.”
I believe these relatives are shown in closest to most distant order, because I see a number of third cousins that I recognize. Trust me, I’ll be messaging each of these closer relatives. For one thing, I want to know if they have DNA tested, and where. I also want to know who our common ancestor is. Maybe they have photos I don’t have, or maybe I can help them.
Click on any name to initiate a chat with that person.
These chat features will only be available during the actual RootsTech show days.
If you click on “Sessions,’ on the main Rootstech tab, you’ll be able to search by a variety of topics, names or session titles.
I searched for my own name, and sure enough, here’s my session. There are other sessions listed too, but those are other speakers – not me.
Clicking on that + (plus sign) adds the session to your playlist. How fun it this! You can customize your own RootsTech conference. These sessions will be available for the next year, so no hurry.
Next, click on “Expo Hall” on the main tab.
Remember, the Expo Hall opens 4 hours before the conference, so 7 PM EST time.
If you click on Expo Hall, you’ll see the following:
This is 7 PM tonight, EST. I believe that the website converts this to your time, but I’m not positive.
If you click on “View Demo Theater,” you’ll see the vendor sessions. There are several here that I want to watch, and the good news is that you can add these to your playlist too.
You can also search for a specific vendor or scroll.
There are lots more vendors. This is just a sampler platter!
Five things of note.
- First, vendors will have sales. Note that “Promotions” word in the FamilyTreeDNA booth, below.
- Second, vendors may offer sessions in their booths that are not available elsewhere. Note the MyHeritage booth, below.
- Third, vendors will probably make announcements during RootsTech. I know of a few, but I can’t share until after the official vendor announcement.
- Fourth, many vendors will have downloadable resources. Be sure to scroll to the bottom of each booth to see everything.
- Fifth, you can “chat with an expert” in any vendor’s booth. FamilyTreeDNA experts will include people who would normally staff the booth, of course. However, the 24×7 times three days conference nature is a challenge, so they have included members of the science team along with project administrators from around the world. You just might find someone you know there from time to time, with expertise in a specific area. Note that vendors can also set up “chat rooms” for specific topics, or when experts are “visiting.”
These leaked yesterday, so here are the FTDNA prices and discount codes.
You can order or upgrade by clicking here.
In the MyHeritage booth, they offer three demos that aren’t available elsewhere. You can also add these to your playlist.
Don’t forget that MyHeritage is offering the free transfer and FREE advanced tool unlock during the conference – so if you haven’t transferred your DNA file to MyHeriage, now’s the time and you can do that, here. I wrote about how to do that, with instructions, here.
Of course, you can also purchase a MyHeritage DNA kit, here.
I’ll be three places, live.
- Answering questions in the FamilyTreeDNA booth as a guest expert for 2 hours beginning at 7 PM EST tonight.
- The DNA Learning Center from time to time.
- In the chat rooms for my own sessions.
If I have additions or more designated times, I’ll let you know as the week unfolds.
One Last Thing – JOY
Yes, RootsTech has been a struggle this year – for the presenters, for the vendors, for the volunteers, but especially for the FamilySearch/RootsTech staff. Bless their hearts, and I mean that.
I want to put this in perspective.
Without a virtual RootsTech, we would have NO RootsTech this year. I can’t even begin to say how much I’m missing being in Salt Lake City, seeing my friends, meeting you, my wonderful blog readers, finding new cousins, looking at all the cool things on the show floor, and researching at the Family History Library.
This year is different, but RootsTech Connect is bringing JOY – JOY, when we need it the very most.
We can indeed connect with other people. And because RootsTech is free, we can include even more people in our community. More people to collaborate with. More people to DNA test. More people finding ancestors. More people to share the JOY.
As you may know, I’m a quilter, and I’ve made “DNA clothes” that I wear to RootsTech and other conferences for several years now. This year, I’m doing something different. I’m dressing up anyway, even though I’m attending at home – just to get in the spirit. I’ll take a picture every day of my DNA outfit and how I’m being joyful, right where I live.
I’m wearing my RootsTech Connect 2021 pin too which signifies an amazing community achievement. I’m proud to be a part of this momentous event.
It’s bright and sunny and a beautiful winter day. A bit windy. But that’s OK. Do you see the helix that looks windblown right along with me?
You be joyful too!
What are your RootsTech plans?
See you at RootsTech. Be sure to tune in for tomorrow’s RootsTech blog article. Who knows what tomorrow will bring!
I receive a small contribution when you click on some of the links to vendors in my articles. This does NOT increase the price you pay but helps me to keep the lights on and this informational blog free for everyone. Please click on the links in the articles or to the vendors below if you are purchasing products or DNA testing.
Thank you so much.
DNA Purchases and Free Transfers
- FamilyTreeDNA – Y, mitochondrial and autosomal DNA testing
- MyHeritage DNA –Autosomal DNA test
- MyHeritage FREE DNA file upload – Transfer your results from other vendors free
- AncestryDNA – Autosomal DNA test
- 23andMe Ancestry – Autosomal DNA only, no Health
- 23andMe Ancestry Plus Health
Genealogy Products and Services
- MyHeritage FREE Tree Builder – Genealogy software for your computer
- MyHeritage Subscription with Free Trial
- Legacy Family Tree Webinars – Genealogy and DNA classes, subscription-based, some free
- Legacy Family Tree Software – Genealogy software for your computer
- Charting Companion – Charts and Reports to use with your genealogy software or FamilySearch
- Legacy Tree Genealogists – Professional genealogy research
- Genealogical.com – Lots of wonderful genealogy research books