It’s RootsTech week and the goodies have already started flowing.
Free Advanced DNA Tools at RootsTech
From March 1-8, MyHeritage is including all of the advanced tools for free with a DNA file upload from another vendor. That includes features that normally require the $29 unlock but are free this week:
- Ethnicity Estimates
- Genetic Groups
- Chromosome Browser
- Theories of Family Relativity
If you haven’t uploaded yet to MyHeritage, it’s definitely worth it to increase your matches and use their great tools. One of my closest paternal matches was unexpectedly found at MyHeritage, along with several Dutch matches from my mother’s side of the tree. I always recommend fishing in all of the vendor ponds.
If you manage kits for other people that haven’t been uploaded yet, now’s a great time, with their permission of course.
Feel free to pass the word on too. Shared matches with known cousins provide wonderful hints as to how you’re related to unknown matches. The more cousins that upload their DNA files to MyHeritage, the better!
I wrote step-by-step download and upload instructions for all of the major vendors, here. Feel free to share.
Click here to upload your DNA file.
I also have French, Acadian, roots, and the MyHeritage has just added 269 million family tree profile records from Filae to MyHeritage – and that’s in addition to the 9 million historical records from France and Norway added already in 2022.
After the hustle and bustle of RootsTech is over, I’ll be looking for new records for each of my Acadian ancestors on my tree at MyHeritage. Especially Francois Lafaille, a particularly irksome brick wall. But I digress😊
Do you have French ancestors or others that would benefit from records searches? You can try a record subscription free trial, here.
You’ll want to watch the MyHeritage RootsTech keynote on the main stage at 2:30 EST on Thursday as well. I don’t have an inside scoop about the topic, but traditionally, MyHeritage sessions are both heartwarming and include an announcement that’s great news for genealogists.
Earlier RootsTech 2022 Articles
- RootsTech Launches “Relatives at RootsTech” App- Are We Related?
- Mining for Gold – Working With “Relatives at RootsTech”
Follow DNAexplain on Facebook, here or follow me on Twitter, here.
Share the Love!
You’re always welcome to forward articles or links to friends and share on social media.
If you haven’t already subscribed (it’s free,) you can receive an email whenever I publish by clicking the “follow” button on the main blog page, here.
You Can Help Keep This Blog Free
I receive a small contribution when you click on some of the links to vendors in my articles. This does NOT increase the price you pay but helps me to keep the lights on and this informational blog free for everyone. Please click on the links in the articles or to the vendors below if you are purchasing products or DNA testing.
Thank you so much.
DNA Purchases and Free Uploads
- FamilyTreeDNA – Y, mitochondrial and autosomal DNA testing
- MyHeritage DNA – Autosomal DNA test
- MyHeritage FREE DNA file upload – Upload your DNA file from other vendors free
- AncestryDNA – Autosomal DNA test
- 23andMe Ancestry – Autosomal DNA only, no Health
- 23andMe Ancestry Plus Health
Genealogy Products and Services
- MyHeritage FREE Tree Builder – Genealogy software for your computer
- MyHeritage Subscription with Free Trial
- Legacy Family Tree Webinars – Genealogy and DNA classes, subscription-based, some free
- Legacy Family Tree Software – Genealogy software for your computer
- Newspapers.com – Search newspapers for your ancestors
- NewspaperArchive – Search different newspapers for your ancestors
- DNA for Native American Genealogy – by Roberta Estes, for those ordering within the United States
- DNA for Native American Genealogy – for those ordering outside the US
- Genealogical.com – Lots of wonderful genealogy research books
- Legacy Tree Genealogists – Professional genealogy research
Do I need to be subscribed to see theories? I have none visible.
No. Just need access to the advanced tools.
Is it ok to delete the current uploaded files and then upload again. Will that work ?
Yes, as far as I know.