Not only is LeVar Burton an incredible actor, portraying Kunta Kinte in 1977 in Alex Haley’s roots, followed by Lt. Commander Geordi La Forge in Star Trek, but he’s an unbelievably insightful man with a powerful story to tell.
I wasn’t able to attend Rootstech this year, but thankfully LeVar Burton’s absolutely incredible keynote is finally available online. I’ve been hearing about it for days and I was finally able to watch this morning.
If you watch only one thing this year, watch LeVar’s keynote. And I don’t mean if you’re black, I mean if you’re human. It’s only half an hour and, I promise, you’ll not regret it. In fact, you’ll need a box of Kleenex and leave feeling wonderful, renewed and inspired.
And please, do the “One Minute Exercise” with LeVar.
Aside from LeVar’s incredibly interesting delivery and poignant stories about his mother, Roots and Star Trek, he made the following points:
- LeVar said his mother was determined that he would reach his full potential, “even if she had to kill me.” I’m sure we can all related to that.
- We all have an important story to tell and an equally important contribution to make to humanity.
- Close your eyes and bring into your mind a person who has seen your potential in life and helped you realize your gift, what your contribution to the world might be. Someone who saw you and recognized your brilliance and helped bring it into being.
- None of us get through this life on our own. We all have assistance on this journey.
- You can do what you can imagine. Focus equals manifestation.
- Unless you can be still you may never hear that voice of God within. Pay attention or you might miss something incredibly important that is key to delivering our gift to the world.
The Desert News provided some additional coverage here.
LeVar’s session is not on the RootsTech video selection, but other sessions are available for free viewing here if you scroll down a bit.
Thank you LeVar for the single most incredible, inspiring keynote speech on any topic I have ever witnessed.
I receive a small contribution when you click on some of the links to vendors in my articles. This does NOT increase the price you pay but helps me to keep the lights on and this informational blog free for everyone. Please click on the links in the articles or to the vendors below if you are purchasing products or DNA testing.
Thank you so much.
DNA Purchases and Free Transfers
- Family Tree DNA
- MyHeritage DNA only
- MyHeritage DNA plus Health
- MyHeritage FREE DNA file upload
- 23andMe Ancestry
- 23andMe Ancestry Plus Health
- Legacy Tree Genealogists for genealogy research
There were lots of us in tears/inspired and moved online watching as well #NotAtRootsTech – I had so much respect for him as a human being. Loved the ending… So cool.
Clicking on either of the links you provided for LeVar’s speech brought up a screen which said I needed to update Flash but clicking on that didn’t seem to make anything happen. Also, I’m using Chrome and the Adobe website says that Flash is automatically updated in Chrome so I’m not sure what is going on.
I use both IE and Edge and it worked fine on that as well as on my iPad, so I don’t know either.
I could’t get the video to work for me either. I normally use Chrome but also tried IE and neither worked. It didn’t mention anything about Adobe, but when the screen came up to play it just wouldn’t. I did hear it was good though! Sorry I missed it 🙂
Try checking on YouTube to see if someone loaded it there.
Thank you so much for this link. I watched it last night and have shared with friends. We are all long time Star Trek fans, so it’s even more interesting for us because of that.
I’ve been unsuccessful in being able to view the video on my iMac via Safari or Firefox and on two iPads (one old operating system & one new). Hopefully someone can provide information on how to view it as I’d really like to hear what Mr. Burton has to say.
I was only able to view it on my PC, not on a mac, ipad or phone.
Has this been taken down? I tried pulling it up on my PC & the video is at 00:00
Yes, sadly it seems to be gone. I checked at the Rootstech site as well as YouTube and couldn’t find another. So sorry.
Pingback: Worldview of LeVar Burton | DNAeXplained – Genetic Genealogy