Not only is LeVar Burton an incredible actor, portraying Kunta Kinte in 1977 in Alex Haley’s roots, followed by Lt. Commander Geordi La Forge in Star Trek, but he’s an unbelievably insightful man with a powerful story to tell.
I wasn’t able to attend Rootstech this year, but thankfully LeVar Burton’s absolutely incredible keynote is finally available online. I’ve been hearing about it for days and I was finally able to watch this morning.
If you watch only one thing this year, watch LeVar’s keynote. And I don’t mean if you’re black, I mean if you’re human. It’s only half an hour and, I promise, you’ll not regret it. In fact, you’ll need a box of Kleenex and leave feeling wonderful, renewed and inspired.
And please, do the “One Minute Exercise” with LeVar.
Aside from LeVar’s incredibly interesting delivery and poignant stories about his mother, Roots and Star Trek, he made the following points:
- LeVar said his mother was determined that he would reach his full potential, “even if she had to kill me.” I’m sure we can all related to that.
- We all have an important story to tell and an equally important contribution to make to humanity.
- Close your eyes and bring into your mind a person who has seen your potential in life and helped you realize your gift, what your contribution to the world might be. Someone who saw you and recognized your brilliance and helped bring it into being.
- None of us get through this life on our own. We all have assistance on this journey.
- You can do what you can imagine. Focus equals manifestation.
- Unless you can be still you may never hear that voice of God within. Pay attention or you might miss something incredibly important that is key to delivering our gift to the world.
The Desert News provided some additional coverage here.
LeVar’s session is not on the RootsTech video selection, but other sessions are available for free viewing here if you scroll down a bit.
Thank you LeVar for the single most incredible, inspiring keynote speech on any topic I have ever witnessed.