Sometimes we get caught up in the details of how DNA testing for genetic genealogy works and what it means. Then someone asks a simple conceptual question, and I have to step back and figure out how to not tell them how to build a clock, but simply answer the question of what time it is.
Someone sent me this query about autosomal DNA matching.
“I do not quite understand how the profiles can be identified specially to an ancestor since that person is not among us to provide DNA material for “testing” and comparison.”
That used to be a common question, but less so now, or so I thought. But maybe it’s just because people aren’t asking anymore, or I’m talking to a different audience.
So, I’m introducing a “Concepts” series of articles. These articles won’t explain the specifics of “how to,” but will explain the concepts of genetic genealogy – just the concepts. For details, how to and exceptions – and you know there are always exceptions, you can dig deeper.
If you have a basic concept question about genetic genealogy or know of one you’d like to see addressed, drop me a note or attach it as a comment to this article. I’ve discovered that many times concepts questions begin with a phrase like, “Maybe I’ve missed something, but…..”
I’ll be adding the Concepts articles here as I publish them. And yes, the first article will be “How Your Autosomal DNA Identifies Your Ancestors.”
- Concepts – How Your Autosomal DNA Identifies Your Ancestors
- Concepts – Identical by…Descent, State, Population and Chance
- Concepts – CentiMorgans, SNPs and Pickin’ Crab
- Concepts – Parental Phasing
- Concepts – Downloading Autosomal Data from Family Tree DNA
- Concepts – Managing Autosomal DNA Matches – Step 1 – Assigning Parental Sides
- Concepts – Y DNA Matching and Connecting with your Paternal Ancestor
- Concepts – Genetic Distance
- Concepts – Relationship Predictions
- Concepts – Match Groups and Triangulation
- Concepts – Sorting Spreadsheets for Autosomal DNA
- Concepts – Managing Autosomal DNA Matches – Step 2 – Updating Matching Spreadsheets, Bucketed Family Finder Matches and Pileups
- Concepts – Why DNA Testing the Oldest Family Members is Critically Important
- Concepts – Undocumented Adoptions vs Untested Y Lines
- Concepts – Calculating Ethnicity Percentages
- Concepts – Segment Size, Legitimate and False Matches
- Concepts – The Faces of Endogamy
I receive a small contribution when you click on some of the links to vendors in my articles. This does NOT increase the price you pay but helps me to keep the lights on and this informational blog free for everyone. Please click on the links in the articles or to the vendors below if you are purchasing products or DNA testing.
Thank you so much.
DNA Purchases and Free Transfers
- Family Tree DNA
- MyHeritage DNA only
- MyHeritage DNA plus Health
- MyHeritage FREE DNA file upload
- 23andMe Ancestry
- 23andMe Ancestry Plus Health
- Legacy Tree Genealogists for genealogy research