Today, we’re continuing with our series of articles from our archives that have been published on this blog by group category. The categories are:
- Historical or Obsolete – these are items that were interesting at the time by aren’t really relevant today – except in a historical context. An example would be the announcement of the Genographic 2 project in July of 2012. You may wonder why I didn’t delete these. Looking back, these are somewhat like a genetic genealogy journal.
- General Information – these are generally articles about DNA and genealogy. They don’t presume that you’re actually working with the results.
- Basic Education – these articles may be basic genealogy or basic DNA fundamentals. These articles provide a foundation for working with your results. Think of it as pre-bootcamp.
- Introductory DNA – these articles do presume you are working with your results. Bootcamp begins here.
- Intermediate DNA – these are a little more difficult and you’ll probably need the basics and introductory understanding to be able to work at this level.
- Advanced DNA – very few articles are advanced. In fact, I try very hard to avoid this, when possible. Mostly, these have to do with advanced autosomal techniques and research.
- Examples – these are examples of using genealogy and DNA together seamlessly. My 52 Ancestors stories fall into this category. Think of these as story problems that include the answers!
- Educational – educational opportunities such as classes, books and videos.
- Entertainment – just for fun, like the Who Do You Think You Are series, some of these have no DNA content.
- Project Administration – articles written for project administrators at Family Tree DNA. Project administrators, of course, will be interested in all of the rest.
Trying to decide where each article best fits has sometimes been challenging, but I’ve tried my best. Enjoy the Basic Education group today.
|Haplogroup C3*- Previously Believed East Asian Haplogroup is Proven Native American||12-23-2014||http://dna-explained.com/2014/12/23/haplogroup-c3-previously-believed-east-asian-haplogroup-is-proven-native-american/|
|Challenges with Irish Autosomal DNA Genealogy Research||8-18-2014||http://dna-explained.com/2014/08/18/challenges-with-irish-autosomal-dna-genealogy-research/|
|What Happened to my Mitochondrial DNA???||7-14-2012||http://dna-explained.com/2012/07/14/what-happened-to-my-mitochondrial-dna/|
|The CRS and the RSRS||7-15-2012||http://dna-explained.com/2012/07/15/the-crs-and-the-rsrs/|
|What Does MCRA (MRCA) Really Mean?||8-6-2012||http://dna-explained.com/2012/08/06/what-does-mcra-really-mean/|
|The DNA Pedigree Chart – Mining for Ancestors||8-22-2012||http://dna-explained.com/2012/08/22/the-dna-pedigree-chart-mining-for-ancestors/|
|Surprise Matches – What do they Mean?||8-26-2012||http://dna-explained.com/2012/08/26/surprise-y-matches-what-do-they-mean/|
|4 Kinds of DNA for Genetic Genealogy||10-1-2012||http://dna-explained.com/2012/10/01/4-kinds-of-dna-for-genetic-genealogy/|
|Autosomal Matching – Is Great-Grandmas Brother Really Her Brother||10-9-2012||http://dna-explained.com/2012/10/09/autosomal-matching-is-great-grandmas-brother-really-her-brother/|
|Transferring Results from National Geographic to Family Tree DNA||1-13-2013||http://dna-explained.com/2013/01/13/transferring-results-from-national-geographic-to-family-tree-dna/|
|Hackers and Your Genetic Secrets||1-20-2013||http://dna-explained.com/2013/01/20/hackers-and-your-genetic-secrets/|
|What is a Haplogroup?||1-24-2013||http://dna-explained.com/2013/01/24/what-is-a-haplogroup/|
|Downloading Ancestry’s Autosomal DNA Raw Data File||3-21-2013||http://dna-explained.com/2013/03/21/downloading-ancestrys-autosomal-dna-raw-data-file/|
|New Y DNA Haplogroup Naming Convention||3-31-2013||http://dna-explained.com/2013/03/31/new-y-dna-haplogroup-naming-convention/|
|Swabbing the (Recently) Deceased||4-14-2013||http://dna-explained.com/2013/04/14/swabbing-the-recently-deceased/|
|No (DNA) Bullying||5-15-2013||http://dna-explained.com/2013/05/15/no-dna-bullying/|
|Mythbusting – Women, Fathers and DNA||6-23-2013||http://dna-explained.com/2013/06/23/mythbusting-women-fathers-and-dna/|
|UpFront with NGS Series on DNA Basics – Testing for Genealogy 101||8-5-2013||http://dna-explained.com/2013/08/05/upfront-with-ngs-series-on-dna-basics-testing-for-genealogy-101/|
|Optimizing Blog Usage||9-4-2013||http://dna-explained.com/2013/09/04/optimizing-blog-usage/|
|Why DNA Test?||9-15-2013||http://dna-explained.com/2013/09/15/why-dna-test/|
|Ethnicity Results – True or Not?||10-4-2013||http://dna-explained.com/2013/10/04/ethnicity-results-true-or-not/|
|DNA Testing for Genealogy 101||10-6-2013||http://dna-explained.com/2013/10/06/dna-testing-for-genealogy-101/|
|Obtaining Help With DNA||2-12-2014||http://dna-explained.com/2014/02/12/obtaining-help-with-dna/|
|23 Ways to be a PITA||3-16-2014||http://dna-explained.com/2014/03/16/23-ways-to-be-a-pita/|
|Family Tree DNA Announces Free Autosomal Transfer from 23andMe and Ancestry||10-19-2014||http://dna-explained.com/2014/10/19/family-tree-dna-announces-free-autosomal-transfer-from-23andme-and-ancestry/|
|Autosomal DNA 2015 – Which Test Is The Best?||2-5-2015||http://dna-explained.com/2015/02/05/autosomal-dna-2015-which-test-is-the-best/|
|Eleven Things I Would Do Differently||3-18-2015||http://dna-explained.com/2015/03/18/eleven-things-i-would-do-differently/|
|And A Dozen Things I Got Right||3-19-2015||http://dna-explained.com/2015/03/19/and-a-dozen-things-i-got-right/|
|A Dozen Ancestors That Aren’t – aka – Bad NADs||4-14-2015||http://dna-explained.com/2015/04/14/a-dozen-ancestors-that-arent-aka-bad-nads/|
|Parent-Child Non-Matching Autosomal DNA Segments||5-14-2015||http://dna-explained.com/2015/05/14/parent-child-non-matching-autosomal-dna-segments/|
|A Match List Does Not an Ancestor Make||5-19-2015||http://dna-explained.com/2015/05/19/a-match-list-does-not-an-ancestor-make/|
|Memorial Day – Grieving the Losses||5-25-2015||http://dna-explained.com/2015/05/25/memorial-day-grieving-the-losses/|
|Allen County Public Library OnLine Resources||6-3-2015||http://dna-explained.com/2015/06/03/allen-county-public-library-online-resources/|
|Ancestry Reinvents my Ancestors, Again||6-4-2015||http://dna-explained.com/2015/06/04/ancestry-reinvents-my-ancestors-again/|
|And Now…Ancestry Health||6-6-2015||http://dna-explained.com/2015/06/06/and-now-ancestry-health/|
|How Much Indian Do I Have In Me?||6-9-2015||http://dna-explained.com/2015/06/09/how-much-indian-do-i-have-in-me/|
|Zeroes aka Deletions – Null DNA Markers||7-7-2015||http://dna-explained.com/2015/07/07/zeroes-aka-deletions-null-dna-markers/|
|What is a Population Bottleneck?||7-9-2015||http://dna-explained.com/2015/07/09/what-is-a-population-bottleneck/|
|Autosomal Matchmaking Vendor Comparison||7-29-2015||http://dna-explained.com/2015/07/29/autosomal-matchmaking-vendor-comparison/|
|African DNA in the British Isles||8-4-2015||http://dna-explained.com/2015/08/04/african-dna-in-the-british-isles/|
|Autosomal DNA Testing 101 – What Now?||8-7-2015||http://dna-explained.com/2015/08/07/autosomal-dna-testing-101-what-now/|
|Autosomal DNA Testing 101 – Tips and Tricks for Contact Success||8-11-2015||http://dna-explained.com/2015/08/11/autosomal-dna-testing-101-tips-and-tricks-for-contact-success/|
|Ethnicity Testing and Results||8-19-2015||http://dna-explained.com/2015/08/19/ethnicity-testing-and-results/|
|DNA Data Organization, Tools and Who’s on First||9-8-2015||http://dna-explained.com/2015/09/08/dna-data-organization-tools-and-whos-on-first/|
I receive a small contribution when you click on some of the links to vendors in my articles. This does NOT increase the price you pay but helps me to keep the lights on and this informational blog free for everyone. Please click on the links in the articles or to the vendors below if you are purchasing products or DNA testing.
Thank you so much.
DNA Purchases and Free Transfers
- Family Tree DNA
- MyHeritage DNA only
- MyHeritage DNA plus Health
- MyHeritage FREE DNA file upload
- 23andMe Ancestry
- 23andMe Ancestry Plus Health
- Legacy Tree Genealogists for genealogy research