During and after the 9th Conference hosted by Family Tree DNA in Houston, TX November 8-10, several administrators collectively submitted a list of “wants and needs” that the genetic genealogy community felt could improve their experience and Family Tree DNA’s product. A small team worked diligently together afterward to refine the plans and help prioritize. Today, the fruits are already ripening on the tree. Thank you Family Tree DNA!!!
During the conference, Bennett Greenspan said he was committing “whatever resources it takes,” followed by a groan (his), and the statement “I can’t believe I just said that.” Of course, all of us heard it…and Family Tree DNA is indeed coming through, very quickly. Two weeks ago there were some changes and additions, and again, today, more.
I’m personally very glad to see the common matches ”crossover” link on the main screen now as well as the much requested,”download all matches,” item 6 below.
Here’s a note from Bennett Greenspan about today’s six new features.
Today we are releasing some great updates that were requested during our 9th International Conference on Genetic Genealogy. Here is a quick summary with some screen shots of what to expect.
1. The timeout for myFTDNA has been increased from 30 min to 2 hrs. This will benefit everyone but will especially be appreciated by our Group Admins when they are impersonating into a kit.
2. Changed the word “Triangulation” to “Common Matches” for Family Finder matching.
3. Instead of using the word “Steps” on the matching pages we will now use “Genetic Distance.” This will effect both the Y-DNA and mtDNA matching pages.
4. Fixed the Interactive Tour. It was getting stuck at the Family Finder section but will now complete.
5. Updated the Profile Pop up on matching pages with a new design and restored the “About Me” section and badges. This profile is available on all matching pages: Y-DNA, mtDNA, Family Finder, and Advanced Matching.
6. Added the ability for a user to download chromosome browser data for all of their matches. This new option is towards the top right side of the chromosome browser page and will be in Excel format.